RE: [ft-devel] Digital signatures

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Digital signatures
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:18:11 +0200

Hi George,

It's a well-known fact that the TrueType engine is placed in the Windows
kernel since NT 4 (more precisely, it's in the file WIN32K.SYS, which
is the kernel-mode driver of the Win32 sub-system).

There is thus a _real_ risk that on this system, a buggy font may crash
your system. You can also envision a virus writer writing some malware
font if some buffer overflows can be exploited in the engine or the
VM Bytecode interpreter.

It's then conceptually possible to imagine a similar font file designed
to take ownership of your X server or other applications that happen to
use FreeType (e.g. nearly anything that displays AA text) on Linux. That is,
if a security hole is found in the engine. If these apps are run as root
with all priviledges, this could be a problem too.

But, as you rightly pointed out, digital signatures do not offer any
credible protection to the buggy and malware problems. What's worse is
that they provide a _false_ sense of security. What a joke !

My opinion is that the DSIG table is the brain-child of DRM-obsessed
managers at Microsoft Typography (or above), who don't understand much
things regarding security.

If digital signatures are not mandatory _and_ used with non-reversible
encryption, they're simply useless.

Don't even bother to lose your time on these things.

Regards,

- David Turner