Re: [ft-devel] Export services?

From: Chia-I Wu
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Export services?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 05:54:37 +0800

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 08:39:13PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > There are some functions which are wrappers to services.  Then why
> > not simply export the services to clients?
> Please give an example how you would like to rearrange services.
For example, we can export WINFNT.  Then instead of calling
"FT_Get_WinFNT_Header", which is simply a wrapper, client can call
"FT_Find_Service" to request the service directly.

Same other services, like OPENTYPE_VALIDATE, GLYPH_DICT,
POSTSCRIPT_FONT_NAME, etc., are also ready to be exported.
> > To make finding a service faster, we can use integers as service id,
> > instead of strings.
>
> Do you really think that this is of great importance?  Strings are
> more user-friendly IMHO.
We now call "FT_FACE_FIND_SERVICE( GLYPH_DICT )" to find a service.
After the change, we still call "FT_FACE_FIND_SERVICE( GLYPH_DICT )" to
find a service.  So most part of the library won't know the differences,
except "ft_service_list_lookup".  This may be of some importance when
trying to find a global service.

olv