RE: [ft-devel] serious bug introduced 2005-10-29

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] serious bug introduced 2005-10-29
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:10:43 +0100

ok, i've done some investigation:

- i can't reproduce the problem on Windows, with either "make setup devel" or
"jam"
  I'm using gcc 3.2.3

- on Linux, I can't reproduce the problem when compiling with Jam at the moment.
  However, I *can* with "make setup devel". Don't know why just yet. This is
  puzzling...

- disabling the latest optimizations in ftcalc.c doesn't change anything to the
  output (still buggy on Linux with "make setup devel")

- running valgrind reveals some bad things in the bytecode interpreter.
  Everytime FT_UNUSED_EXEC is evaluated, a full structure copy is
  performed  ( *exc = *exc ). this makes Valgrind scream because
  the contents of a memcpy are overlapping... Ah ah ah, never noticed
  this one, which must be a performance killer, by the way...

- no other errors are reported by Valgrind (except some memory leaks
  in the graph library, I should fix these some days, but it's so low priority)

I'm continuing my tests to see what's happening here.

Stay tuned,

- David