RE: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:09:58 +0100

> ME TOO. David, I've been using your patch for a long time and I love
> it. Personally I just cannot understand how someone can so badly break
> the kerning and character shapes for some marginal gain in crispness.
> But, EVEN if this is not made the default, I don't see why it's not
> included even as an option!
>
> In case the FT developers keep being unflexible on this issue, David,
> can you please update your patch so it works with 2.1.10?

To be honest, I was unaware of this patch, or simply completely forgot
about it when it's been presented.

It's not like we're not trying to improve the engine's rendering. We
have integrated David Chester's improvements, but this needed a mostly
complete rewrite of his code, because a quick hack is not always the
best way to implement a feature.

The same is true for the current patch. It's much shorter though,
so it should be easy to integrate.

Also, notice that some people complain because the LIGHT hinting
mode creates color fringes in LCD-decimated mode, so strong hinting
will still be required for some users, at least.

Thanks,

- David Turner