RE: [ft-devel] LIGHT hinting enhancement back-ported to FreeType 2.1.10

From: GhePeU
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] LIGHT hinting enhancement back-ported to FreeType 2.1.10
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:56:35 +0100

Hello,

I just tryed freetype 2.1.10 with this patch. The rendering is much
better than with "clean" freetype, but now my fontconfig rules aren't
applied anymore.

I usually compile freetype with the bytecode interpreter, then I enable
the auto-hinter in /etc/fonts/local.conf with:

<match target="font">
</match>

and finally I switch to the bytecode interpreter for some fonts only:

<match target="font">
</match>

Now, when I set the LIGHT/MEDIUM hinting with the gnome utility these
settings are ignored, while when I choose FULL hinting they are observed
only by some applications (for instance, gnome-terminal) and ignored by
others (firefox 1.5).

However, the render quality has improved, at least to my eyes.

Giacomo Perale