[ft-devel] AFM parser and track kerning support

From: Chia-I Wu
Subject: [ft-devel] AFM parser and track kerning support
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:08:42 +0800

Hi all,

I've committed a patch to have a full AFM parser.  As a result, track
kerning is supported.  The track kerning can be retrieved by a call to
`FT_Get_Track_Kerning'.  And internally, it is implemented through a
service called `kerning'.  If you think the name or prototype is really
bad and you've came up with a good one, please let me know.

`ftstring' is also patched to support track kerning.  All you need to do
is name the AFM file after the font file and put them in the same
directory.  Then the AFM file will be loaded automatically.  Further, a
new display mode called `kerning comparision' is added.  I guess this
screenshot can explain what it is:

http://www.olv.idv.tw/~olvaffe/tmp/freetype2/kerning.png

Besides testing AFM support, please also check whether your favorite
Type 1 fonts still work.

BTW, does the PFM support work?  I tried with some PFM files from
ghostscript and all failed to load.

olv