Re: [ft-devel] when does the next version of freetype release?

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] when does the next version of freetype release?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:08:56 +0900

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:18:00 +0100
david turner <address@hidden> wrote:
>> And will the major .so version be bumpped up?
>>
>Nope, because this would create problems as Owen Taylor pointed out,
>since through indirect linking, a given program might find itself dependent
>on both libfreetype6 and libfreetype7, which could cause major problems
>depending on the code paths being used.

Could you tell me about the condition that
libfreetype.so "must" bump its major version?

Today FreeType is very widely used as the most
important foundation for text rendering, and
the request for full binary compatibility
(unfortunately, including internal functions,
internal data types, macros, etc etc :-)) is
getting stronger and stronger, I'm afraid.
Some people may want libfreetype3.so.X instead
of libfreetype.so.7.

Regards,
mpsuzuki