Re: [ft-devel] Re: FreeType issues

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: FreeType issues
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 06:32:33 +0100 (CET)

> One change that *would* mitigate the problems for other distributors
> (and Debian) is, since freetype 2.2 will already include a linker
> script, to add symbol versions to that linker script.  [...]

According to this excellent document (everybody involved into this
discussion should read it!)

  http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

which describes all aspects of writing DLLs, symbol versioning isn't
portable.  Consequently, this must be hidden with macros.  If someone
comes up with an elegant macro solution which doesn't uglify the
source code and which are easy to use I don't object to add this to
the CVS.  In case we introduce that we should do it right, this is,
support symbol versioning in the source code too.  Takers?  Comments?