Re: [ft-devel] On the impact of installing the next FreeType release on

From: david turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] On the impact of installing the next FreeType release on a typical Unix distribution
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:08:41 +0100

It'd be much better if you could find a way to embedded the FreeType functionality within
the FontForge sources directly, instead on relying on something so fragile.
We discussed this before. It would divorce ff from freetype fixes which
to me is far worse.
If that's the only point, what about organizing the FreeType sources so as to be able to
compile the TrueType bytecode interpreter as a standalone library as well ?

In this scheme, the FontForge sources would directly include the FreeType ones, but the end result would end up statically compiled within the FontForge executable (or in a plugin, if you have problems with the patent issues). you wouldn't depend on a
special freetype library instance being installed on your system.

Another option is simply to ship a special version statically linked to FontForge.

I still don't understand why you absolutely want the ability to dynamically peek into the internals of the libfreetype installed on the system, especially since it will not have the
bytecode interpreter on most distros anyway...

Hope this helps,

- David

Please understand that we don't want to maintain _that_ level of backwards compatibility.
I feel this is something where >I< maintain the compatibility, not you.
I just don't want a situation where I can't hack around things.

I think we have different goals... you want to make production software,
while I just want something that can be made to work...

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be
privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original
message.