Re: [ft-devel] change the glyph loading path

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] change the glyph loading path
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:47:24 +0200 (CEST)

I'm baaaaack.

In the next few days I'll try to handle unanswered emails from the
last three weeks or so.

> I am always thinking making driver->load_glyph to only load the raw
> glyph data and hints from the font.  That is, glyphs are loaded as
> if FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE is set and hints are loaded but not parsed.
> These raw data are then passed to the respective hinting module, be
> it pshint, autofit, or, to be ported, tthint, where scaling and
> hinting happens.

This sounds like a great idea!

> This is a long-term goal, since moving to this path involves huge
> amount of work.  Any comment?

I suggest the following route.

  . David fixes the TrueType bytecode compiler, using a solution
    specific to the TrueType driver.

  . We gradually add/move/delete structures to FreeType to accomplish
    what you suggest.  I prefer incremental changes which can be
    better controlled -- probably at the cost of more work.

> (I am serving the (mandatory) military service here

Sigh.  So much lost time!