[ft-devel] CJK fonts and vertical advance

From: Jon Anderson
Subject: [ft-devel] CJK fonts and vertical advance
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:03:18 -0600

Hello,

We are using freetype 2.1.10 to render fonts in our ps/pdf rendering
software, thank you, it is a wonderful piece of software.

I have a question about computing the vertical advance when rendering
cjk fonts.  I am using the variable: face->glyph->metrics.vertAdvance to
compute the next character position when drawing text vertically.

First question, is this the correct value or variable to use?  Second,
if so, the value seems to change drastically when hinting is turned on
or off before rendering the glyph (FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING) or if a bitmap of
the glyph exists in the font (I currently set FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP just to
keep this from happening).

I guess my real question is how do I consistently compute the vertical
advance while rendering cjk text?

Thank you,

Jon Anderson
Websupergoo Software