Re: [ft-devel] Regression in light hinting mode with freetype 2.2.1

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Regression in light hinting mode with freetype 2.2.1
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:08:31 +0200

Hello Frederic,

well, well, I wouldn't necessarily call that a regression. it's really what the new light hinting mode is supposed to be: improved shapes at the expense of slightly fuzzier rendering. The
fuzziness can be slightly compensated on LCD screens with the patches at
http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/patches/font-patches.html, but the result is still
Mac OS X-like.

I'll let you decide wether you should disable horizontal hinting in your build of the library,
or not.

Regards,

- David Turner

Frederic Crozat a écrit :
Hi,

I've pushed freetype 2.2.1 in cooker yesterday and I got some reports
about font rendering becoming worse than the one with 2.1.10 (cooker had
2.1.10 + some selected patches from CVS fixing various issues, see
http://cvs.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/SPECS/freetype2/freetype2.spec?rev=1.60&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
 for a full list).

After some investigations, it seems light hinting mode is the culprit :
I've done a side by side comparison of Deja Vu Sans font (version 2.6)
at 10.0 points, 95.0 dpi with ftview and light hinting mode seems to
draw some hinting on the wrong side of the glyp : check at
http://people.mandriva.com/~fcrozat/ft-2110-221.png

If I enable back horizontal hinting when using light hinting mode
(aflatin.c:1370), I'm getting back the "correct" rendering, but I'm not
sure it is the correct solution (since disable horizontal hinting in
that particular case was done on purpose).

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be
privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original
message.