Re: [ft-devel] hinting regression in 2.2.1?

From: Chia-I Wu
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] hinting regression in 2.2.1?
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 09:01:39 +0800

Hi,

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 04:41:03PM -0400, Izaak Branderhorst wrote:
> I've attached two screenshots which illustrate a difference in rendering
> Arial at 11px bold.
>
> My configuration doesn't change between running 2.1.10 and 2.2.1. The only
> thing I've found that fixes the problem is reducing hinting from full to
> medium.
freetype 2.1.10 has a bug in determining whether it's doing horizontal
or vertical hinting, which prevents stem snapping in some cases:

2005-09-26  David Turner  <address@hidden>

        * src/autofit/aflatin.c (af_latin_compute_stem_width): Fix bad
        computation of the `vertical' flag, causing ugly things in LCD mode
        and others.

But in this case, bypassing stem snapping gives better result.

Maybe we can adjust the algorithm so that font styles are taken into
consideration when snapping?

olv