Re: [ft-devel] Kerning support in freetype

From: Dmitry Timoshkov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Kerning support in freetype
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:27:54 +0900

"David Turner" <address@hidden> wrote:

Windows reports 96 dpi screen resolution (I'm using a device context
of the screen), and I'm creating a font with 1200 pixels height.

this formulation doesn't make much sense to us. Could you elaborate what
you're doing in both cases. Precisely:

- how do you choose the font size under Windows (and/or resolution ?)
- how do you do the same with FreeType ?

I tried to avoid using logical units and use pixels instead, but apparently
made an error. I've resolved the problem by passing a negative height to
win32 API CreateFont and using FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes instead of FT_Set_Char_Size.
Now I get almost the same values from freetype and windows for all font sizes
I tried. What remains is a rounding error of +1/-1 (would be nice to avoid
that error as well), and find a way to get all amount of available kerning
pairs from freetype.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry.