Re: [ft-devel] Auto-hinter enhancements

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Auto-hinter enhancements
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:28:04 -0500

>>>>> "David" == David Turner <address@hidden> writes:

David> PS: I also disabled the latest bytecode interpreter
David>     "enhancements", since it seems obvious they're not ready
David>     for release yet. I've tried to understand why, but the
David>     issue is just sooo tricky. Damn rounding bugs :-)

I updated after seeing that change on the commits list, and still see
the wider diagonals in N, V and W in verdana bold that the earlier
poster reported.

So, either the commit emails come through before the repo is updated
or your change to the interpreter did not cause those anomalies....
(Nor, of course, did it fix it, though.)

At 72 dpi in ftview, the anomaly does not occur at 11 pts, is mild at
12 and 13, pronounced at 14, 15 and 16 pts and disappears again at 17.

17 is also the point where the stem widths jump up by a pixel.

At 96 dpi, it occurs at 9 thru 12 points.

I hope this is useful....

OTOH, the autohinter changes for serif fonts look good.  I can see
significant improvements on the serifs themselves as compared to a
static compile I have of ftview linked to 2.2.0.  Very sweet.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 0xED7DAEA6