Re: [ft-devel] Mac install instructions don't seem to exist

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Mac install instructions don't seem to exist
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:21:23 +0900

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 06:43:49 +0900
address@hidden wrote:
>And, I think, if the document notes about how to check the version
>of GNU make, the problem (for users who don't know which make he
>has) will be solved. However, yet I've not checked the minimum
>version of GNU make to build. I will check, please wait.

Here I report the result of GNU make version check.
I want to add note about the version of GNU make:
"GNU make >= 3.78.1 is required, 3.80 or newer is recommended".
If anybody knows any system that GNU make older than
3.78 is actively used, please let me know.

Regards,
mpsuzuki

--

[check 1]

The earliest gnumake on Mac OS X (10.0.4) was GNU make 3.79.
I could build latest freetype2 on CVS by /usr/bin/gnumake,
by setting GNUMAKE environment variable.
If anybody knows different situation in "Mac OS X Server"
which is released before Mac OS X 10.0, please let me know.

[check 2]

I tested GNU make since from 3.75 (released 10 years ago) to 3.79,
by self-hosting on GNU/Linux. No cross build is tested. The result
is following:

3.75 (1996-08-27) - failed in configure, as:
        $ ./configure --with-old-mac-fonts
        Makefile:32: /builds/toplevel.mk: No such file or directory
        make: *** No rule to make target `/builds/toplevel.mk'.  Stop.

3.76.1 (1997-09-19) - failed in configure, same with 3.75

3.77 (1998-07-28) - failed in configure, as:
        $ ./configure --with-old-mac-fonts
        FreeType build system -- automatic system detection

        The following settings are used:

          platform                    unix
          compiler                    cc
          configuration directory     ./builds/unix
          configuration rules         ./builds/unix/unix.mk

        If this does not correspond to your system or settings please remove
the file
        `config.mk' from this directory then read the INSTALL file for help.

        Otherwise, simply type `make' again to build the library,
        or `make refdoc' to build the API reference (the latter needs python).

        /bin/sh: OBJ_DIR: command not found
        /bin/sh: OBJ_DIR: command not found
        Generating modules list in /ftmodule.h...
        /bin/sh: OBJ_DIR: command not found
        /bin/sh: OBJ_DIR: command not found
        /bin/sh: /ftmodule.h: Permission denied
        make: *** [$(OBJ_DIR)/ftmodule.h] Error 1

3.78.1 (1999-09-23) - no error, possibly ok

3.79 (2000-04-04) - no error, possibly ok