Re: [ft-devel] Bug in SHZ instruction?

From: gww
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bug in SHZ instruction?
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:08:08 -0800

Quoting Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

> > I believe there is a bug in the SHZ instruction.  I believe SHZ
> > should not move the phantom points in the zone.
> >
> > The attached font contains one interesting glyph "~" and lots of
> > glyphs which are vertical bars and are included to show spacing.
> >
> > The interesting glyph moves the zone by 4 pixels. In freetype this
> > increases the advance width of the glyph. On the mac (with it's
> > native rasterizer) the advance width is not increased.
>
> I assume that you've already verified this with the Windows
> rasterizer, right?
Well, I'm not sure how to get a 9 pixel font out of Windows (and I treasure that
ignorance), so I can't make a perfect comparison.

But at small point sizes the rectangle of the ~ ends up adjacent to the vertical
bar of the second "A". This would not happen if the advance width were being
shifted by 4 pixels.