Re: [ft-devel] [Regression] Font doesn't open with Freetype CVS but work

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Regression] Font doesn't open with Freetype CVS but works with Freetype 2.2.1
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 11:40:27 +0200 (CEST)

> > > Hmm, this font doesn't have a `cmap' table, which is invalid
> > > according to the OpenType standard, and the behaviour is defined
> > > as `implementation specific' in PDF standard (see section
> > > 5.5. in the PDF 1.6 specification).
> >
> > I see but lots of real world PDF files have this kind of fonts :-/
>
> In my opinion, embedded font in PDF is NOT self-standing font file.
> Even if it's forcibly loaded by ignoring essential tables, it is no
> more than jumping the first hurdle.  Without cmap, most
> character-based API are not usable.

Hmm.  Since PDFs come with its own set of cmap files, there is a
certain redundancy...

In this particular case I think FreeType should do a default action;
this is, a missing `cmap' table should completely disable functions
like FT_Get_Char_Index (by returning either an appropriate error
and/or -1 for the glyph index) but still make FT_Load_Glyph and
friends work as expected.

David, what do you think?  Anyone here who would like to implement
this (which should be rather trivial)?