Re: [ft-devel] FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT and FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT

From: Derek Clegg
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT and FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:56:40 -0700

I apologize in advance for the relatively large size of this message.

On Jun 5, 2007, at 12:31 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Can FreeType return glyph paths from mingliu and other fonts which
need the bytecode interpreter for positioning?

This should be possible.  It would be illogical otherwise.

In my experiments, I've failed to get correct results, but that may
be my error — I may not have supplied the correct combination of
build parameters and flags.

Can you show us what you've tried.  Maybe there's a bug in FreeType
lurking around...

    Werner

Here's a font that illustrates the problem; it's a font subset from a PDF file:

Here's how glyph 1915 (for example) appears when the PDF file is drawn by Acrobat:

PNG image

Here's how it looks when drawn by filling the outline obtained from FreeType:

PNG image

This appears to happen because the glyph outline isn't correct. Here's what ftgrid shows, using the current FreeType CVS sources, unmodified:

PNG image

It looks like the positioning hints aren't applied to the glyph outline.

Are there some additional flags I need to supply, or is this a bug? Right now, I'm just using "ftgrid" to examine the glyph outlines, not my own code.

Thanks for any pointers or advice.

Derek