[ft-devel] differences in hinting between 2.3.1 and HEAD

From: ajaxas
Subject: [ft-devel] differences in hinting between 2.3.1 and HEAD
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:03:43 +0700

So, as the bug #19565 has been *indeed* fixed, I switched to CVS version - and
found that hinting (it is that what is called 'hinting', isn't it?) has
drastically worsened for at least M$ Tahoma font. See attached images:

01.png - current HEAD
02.png - ol' good 2.3.1

As you can see, glyph heights vary in the CVS version while stay the same (nice
and clean!) in 2.3.1. Also, though it may be my own opinion, with 2.3.1 glyphs
are rendered better and closer to how they are rendered in M$ Windows.

The cause may lie in the latter changes to autohinter, because this difference
wasn't here even the day before yesterday (June, 10).

PS: for some reason, I wasn't able to launch ftview with both of freetype
versions (it's just not here, slocate confirms!). This might be either Ubuntu
7.04 thing or a world-wide anti-ajaxas conspiracy! ^O.O^

--
ajaxas <address@hidden>