Re: [ft-devel] suggested improvement to FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] suggested improvement to FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:32:23 +0200 (CEST)

> I am using FT_Glyphslot_Embolden and so far it seems to work quite
> well.  However, the default extra boldness (1/24 em) is too great
> for my purposes, and ought to be settable via an argument, because
> different values are needed at different times. For example, 1/32 em
> is adequate for making DejaVu Sans Bold extra-bold.
>
> I therefore suggest the following changes.

This looks good.  However, I think a default boldness would be nice to
retain.  For example, the value 0 could indicate this.  What do you
think?

Another problem is backwards compatibility.  Inspite of being declared
as alpha code I fear that we no longer are in the situation to change
the API because it is included by default into the library :-(

What about adding a new function instead, say,
FT_Glyphslot_Set_Emboldening, to change the embolding value?