Re: [ft-devel] Re: Truetype Collection fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: Truetype Collection fonts
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:47:33 +0100 (CET)

[Please stay on the list.]

> The issue has been resolved on my end, but for your own information
> ftmac.c (amongst other things) will load various resource based font
> data and massage the data into a linear representation that
> resembles the on-disk format of a Windows TrueType/Type1 font.  That
> is (one) of the "conversions" that goes on and is useful for not
> only rendering but outputting to PostScript/PDF files.

The same we do for reading Type 42 fonts which are converted to a TTF
internally more or less.  So you are talking not about font conversion
between different formats but conversion between different wrapper
formats (as described in FreeType's `formats.txt' file) -- is this
correct?

I still think that the result of a wrapper conversion is internal to
FreeType and can't be exposed to the public so that it is useful for
other applications.  However, I don't mind to provide hooks to that
data if it can be done in a sensible way -- can provide patches for
that?