[ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts

From: Donn
Subject: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:24:45 +0200

Hello,
 Not sure if this is the right list to ask this on, but I am pretty confused
about Type1 fonts in general and have to start somewhere.

I'm developing a small app called Fonty Python and have made some assumptions
based on the files I found on my Kubuntu system and on (scrappy) web
searches.

Here's my basic approach to 'installing' fonts, any comments would be
appreciated:

.PFB files
I assume these to contain actual glyphs, i.e. they can be drawn. If it's just
a lone .PFB file, it gets linked into ~/.fonts
.PFM files
When I find one in the same folder, with the same name as a .PFB (sans
extension), I couple it together with the .PFB and place both files into
~/.fonts
I ignore all .PFM files that do not have a matching .PFB partner.

.PFA files
These are a new twist, just found one today. I do not know if they also get
matched with some metric file. I see many .AFM files around and in one
folder:
/usr/share/enscript/afm/ I found a font 'matrix.pfa' which also
has 'matrix.afm'.
So, am I right to do the same for the .PFA & .AFM partnership?

Essentially: Is an AFM or a PFM file needed *at all*? Can I simply focus on
PFB and PFA files and link then into ~/.fonts and call that font 'installed"?
I suspect that libs like freetype get other data from the 'surrounding' files
to better draw the glyphs and I want to match the correct files together.

Any help would be splendid.
\d

--
I have a low-traffic blog for basic news:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/