Re: [ft-devel] language ID on MacOS is used? (Re: Dynalab SJIS cmap)

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] language ID on MacOS is used? (Re: Dynalab SJIS cmap)
Date: 09 Jan 2008 06:39:33 -0800

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 23:38, address@hidden wrote:
> There is a scenario that I don't want to think:
> TrueType font has multiple cmap subtables with same platform
> ID and platform-specific encoding ID but different language IDs.
This is indeed possible.
Apple made a mistake when they assigned encodings (scripts they call
them). They only allowed for 31 of them. This means that there aren't
enough. So there are at least five encodings for latin letters and they
are distinguished by language id
     icelandic
     turkish
     croatian
     romanian
     (everything else for the standard macroman)
> Understanding the name of entries literally, same encoding ID
> means that such subtables must share same encoding, but the
> coverage may not be guaranteed to be same.
> For example, for Roman script, there is only one MacOS-specific
> encoding ID (=0). But there are various language IDs for
> Roman script: English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish,
> Spanish...
Those would all use the standard macroman encoding
> Anybdoy had ever seen a TrueType font that has
> non-zero language ID?
I have not.