Re: [ft-devel] Sublicensing and crediting FreeType2 in a DLL

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Sublicensing and crediting FreeType2 in a DLL
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:18:51 +0200 (CEST)

[Please don't answer with HTML-only emails.  Use plain text instead.]

> Well, i think you're right the splash screen will be annoying.  I
> also thought of making a license.txt part of the redistributable
> (and make the DLL create that file if it does not exist).  Or i
> could do a combination of that, display a splash screen only at the
> first run and point to the file.  But that leaves the question what
> belongs to the documentation.

> I'm using a simple custom license, i could insert a crediting
> clause.

For the time being, I would prefer that solution -- just inherit the
documentation clause.  Something like

   This application uses library `foo' (http://...) which in turn uses
   the FreeType library (http://freetype.org) for font rendering.

> However some users may overlook that part.

Why do you think so?  Users who properly apply the license should do
what the license asks for...

> I think that distributing FreeType inside a redistributable library
> is not fully covered by the current license, if i strictly follow
> the license terms i'm only required to credit FreeType with only a
> copyright inside my documentation because i distribute in binary
> form.  The users of my software do not have to do anything to
> redistribute my software.  Or at least they do not know about it and
> i'm not required to tell them.  I don't think that this is intended.

I think you are right.  Hmm.  We should improve that.  David?