Re: [ft-devel] Test the rendered FTBitmap

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Test the rendered FTBitmap
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:56:33 +0200 (CEST)

> The issue I have is about the different results depending on the
> freetype version or settings.  The result may differ slightly making
> image comparison somehow useless.  What I can try is to detect the
> freetype version and how it is built and change the default settings
> when necessary or when possible.  Alternatively it is possible to
> create different images for each supported version/platform, but I
> would prefer another solution.

Hmm.  Theoretically, the FreeType rendering results should be
identical across all platforms.  On the other hand, you may get
different results if you compare different FreeType versions since we
adjust the algorithms from time to time.  Different FreeType settings
which influence rendering are basically

  . Using autohinting or a native hinter

  . Rendering aliased or anti-aliased.

and probably

  . Switch on and off embedded bitmaps for selected sizes.

This looks manageable IMHO.  BTW, in case you are writing such a
framework we would be glad to add it to FreeType :-)