[ft-devel] Fw: [OpenType] typo in glyphlist.txt

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Fw: [OpenType] typo in glyphlist.txt
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 22:11:32 +0200 (CEST)

This might be interesting to you.

     Werner

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [OpenType] typo in glyphlist.txt Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:07:55 +0000
Message from OpenType list:

At 20:16 +0000 5/13/08, David Lemon wrote:
>At 19:43 +0000 5/12/08, <address@hidden> wrote:
>>[Werner Lemberg wrote:]
>>   >
>>>   I've found a typo in glyphlist.txt:
>>>
>>>     circleot -> circledot
>>
>>Seems straight forward, but could someone from Adobe confirm this?
>
>The key question is where this misspelling originated. Since the
>purpose of the glyphlist.txt file is to describe names that will
>recognized as characters by Acrobat, we need to determine what
>be spelling Acrobat actually uses. Stay tuned...
>
>Of course, for characters like this, which are so far removed from
>ASCII/ANSI, using final glyph names of the uniXXXX or uXXXXXX form
>is likely to be more bulletproof anyway.

The belated follow-up:

We got confirmation that the list of names built into Acrobat
Distiller includes this typo. That means glyphs named "circledot"
will not be recognized, and thus not assigned the appropriate Unicode
value.

As the glyphlist.txt file notes, the purpose of this list is not to
recommend glyph names, but merely to note which names will be
recognized by some parsers. So the presence of a nonsense name like
"circleot" is not a bug, but simply a description of a (useless) fact.

The absence of "circledot" from the list is clearly an oversight. But
if people are following the recommended glyph-naming practices, this
name is not being used anyway. Since we've not heard of any issues
related to Distiller not recognizing glyphs named "circledot", we
aren't planning to request that it be added to the list.

If anyone knows of such issues (but just hasn't ever bothered
reporting them), I'd be curious to get more details (including why
this name is being used in the first place).

- thanks,
--
David Lemon
Sr. Manager, Type Development