[ft-devel] Rotated text

From: Frank W. Miller
Subject: [ft-devel] Rotated text
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:03:30 -0600

Greetings,

I've been wrestling with rotated text.  I've read all the documentation
and have been working with the example code.  I'm having some real
trouble understanding how the advance, width, and rows fields in the
rendered bitmap can be used to compute a bbox.  Here's what I'm really
hoping can be done:

The following image is supposed to be the word "text" rotated up by
about 15 degrees or so off the x axis.  Sorry, my ascii rendering is not
what it could be.  The rendered text is supposed to be inside a bounding
box, or at least, why I think of as a bounding box.

                                     [w,h]
    +---------------------------------+
    |                          *  *   |
    |              *      *    **     |
    |           *     *  *    * *     |
    |  *  *   *   *      *       *   *|
    |  **     *  *      *   *     **  |
    | * *      *    *  *              |
    |   *   *     *                   |
    |    **                           |
    +---------------------------------+
   [0,0]

So, taking the sample code, to get [w,h], I've tried to just sum up the
advance.x and advance.y fields after each glyph rendering.  That doesn't
seem quite right.  When I actually render the text, it appears to go off
to the left a little from what I feed the bitmap routine as [0,0].  I
suppose I need to take into account the width and rows fields in the
bitmap too but I'm not sure how to do it.

This may be completely out to lunch, but if anyone has any suggestions,
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
FM