[ft-devel] Re: Can not read the glyph~

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: Can not read the glyph~
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:20:08 +0200 (CEST)

> The attach file is a font which is extracted in a PDF. I use the
> freetype to draw the font , I found that the glyph index 28573 cannot
> be display. But in the acrobat reader, it can displayed normally.

Hmm.

> This character maybe a “、”, freetype cannot load it.
>
> There are also some characters cannot be load, I founded their index
> always larger than 20000.

The font is broken.  The `loca' table says from itself that it has a
length of 58254 bytes.  Since the loca format is 1 (given in the
`head' table), 4 bytes are used per entry.  This gives 14563 entries.
However, the `maxp' table says that there are 29126 glyphs in the
font.

BTW, the table directory of this font is broken too: The specification
says that the entries have to be sorted by tag.  However, this is not
the case:

  glyf  -  00038f60  -  00011bfe
  loca  -  0001c840  -  0000e38e
  head  -  000000a0  -  00000036
  maxp  -  00000100  -  00000020
  hhea  -  000000d8  -  00000024
  hmtx  -  00000124  -  0001c718
  prep  -  0004ab60  -  000002a4
  cvt   -  0004ae08  -  000002a0
  fpgm  -  0004b0ac  -  00000950

[This is harmless, but...]

However, I've made this font work with the current CVS.  Please test.