Re: [ft-devel] Type 1C font that is not rendered correctly

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Type 1C font that is not rendered correctly
Date: 27 Jul 2008 20:05:07 -0700

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 15:42, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > As example, if you open it with ftview you'll see the 4 has the
> > inner hole filled, fontforge seems to render it correctly in it's
> > preview window.
>
> It parses the font differently -- on the other hand, due to this
> different parsing, the glyphs displayed incorrectly in FreeType have a
> wrong advance width in FontForge.
As Werner points out later, fontforge's interpretation of the font is
incorrect. I agree with him that the 4 should look the way ftview
displays it.

> Well, i'd say it all boils down to how much the breakage implies in terms of
> work to fix it and if it can break correct fonts and how difficult it'll be
> to maintain in the future.
Making it work is fairly easy. At least in fontforge.
However it can break correct (albeit odd) fonts. Any font which throws
in extraneous stack arguments (legal, but odd) will be made to look
wrong. This font is simply wrong.

> If all that factors are not much negative i think having a happy user is
> worth
> it :-)
I would recommend not changing freetype to accept this font.
I've changed fontforge so that it will display the font as freetype does.