Re: [ft-devel] Bytecode Hinting - Vertically Only?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bytecode Hinting - Vertically Only?
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 20:16:46 +0200 (CEST)

> Let's say one was interested in modifying the BCI hinting algorithms
> to apply the BCI hinting to only horizontal stems, and using the
> normal autohinting on vertical stems.  In other words, hinting
> vertically based on BCI hints and horizontally not at all.

Why do you want to do this?

> First, does this question even make sense, and if so, is this
> something simple, such as changing a macro, or is it a more in-depth
> code change?

What you want to do is not possible.  Try FontForge, the font editor,
using a FreeType library which has bytecode support enabled.  Then
take a well-hinted TrueType font (say, MS Arial) and debug the
truetype intructions of a glyph.  I believe that you will immediately
see why your suggestion can't work.