Re: [ft-devel] Very very old CodeWarrior C compiler cannot parse directo

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Very very old CodeWarrior C compiler cannot parse directory-structured include files
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:48:16 +0200

Dear mpsuzuki,

While I applaud your enthusiasm about such an old piece of software, I don't think
we should spend any developer cycles trying to support this officially :-)

It is my opinion that any person who tries to use FreeType with such dated tools
will have the necessary scripting skills to transform the sources by
themselves to fit their niche. And if they don't, they probably should switch to a
better platform/com

Regards,

- David

2008/10/13 <address@hidden>
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:05:43 +0200
"Maarten Maathuis" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 5:52 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Recently I've got still-sealed "CodeWarrior Gold 10"
>> which was released on 1994, and tried to build FreeType2
>> by this very very old CW.
>
>Am i the only one who wonders why a 14 year old compiler is
>even relevant today?

I think I'm the only one who tries 14 year old compiler to
build FreeType2. The reason why I used such legacy compiler
is: I wanted to make a CW project file in the oldest format.

On 2005, I updated CodeWarrior project file in builds/mac
from CW v7 format to CW v9 XML format - afterwards I received
several claims that developers using CW v7/v8 could not use
new project file due to format incompatibility. It's the
reason why I've chosen such very legacy compiler, I expected
the oldest format will serve to all CW users.

Maybe there's another fundamental question: CW for MacOS is
discontinued product and no longer supported, is it relevant?
I don't have solid answer, but I have 3 reasons to maintain.

* CW has been supported since the initial release of FreeType2.

* Some binaries built by CW depends on Metrowerks' own libc,
 the binaries built by MPW C compilers are not guaranteed
 to be the replacements.

* At present, the cost to maintain CW files in FreeType2 is
 still payable for me.

If FreeType2 had never supported CW (or had removed by other
maintainers), I ought not to add CW support by myself.

Regards,
mpsuzuki