Re: [ft-devel] How to collect the side-by-side lists of source & object

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] How to collect the side-by-side lists of source & object files from FreeType2 building system?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:49:15 +0100 (CET)

> Thus, in next, I want to automate the maintenance of MPW makefiles.
> If I have a list of the pairs of the source and object file for
> "single build", it's easy to make MPW makefile updated
> automatically, by common Unix environment.

This is a *great* idea!

> * $(BASE_SRC_S) and $(BASE_OBJ_S),
> * $(BASE_EXT_SRC) (their objects $(BASE_EXT_OBJ) is not essential),
> * $(modulename_DRV_SRC) and its object $(modulename_DRV_SRC).
>
> Also I want to strip $(SRC_DIR) and $(OBJ_DIR) directories.  Is
> there any smart method to obtain them?

I can imagine to provide an extra make target which looks like this:

  info-data:
          echo SRC_DIR = $(SRC_DIR)
          echo OBJ_DIR = $(OBJ_DIR)

> I didn't have good idea to let "make" dump such values during real
> building process, and I'm not sure if these naming convention of
> make-variables in FreeType2 project are stable.

They are, I hope :-) In any case, someone who updates the makefile
would have to update the proposed `info-data' target also.

However, it seems that you have already a working, generic solution
using your make-odep.sh script, so please proceed as you like.