Re: [ft-devel] conversion from cvs repository to git

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] conversion from cvs repository to git
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 18:38:02 +0900

happy new year!

It seems that my previous post was lost, here I repost.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 21:47:58 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> And there is a tar of the commits which need proper log messages at:
>>
>>   http://jhcloos.com/ft/ft_mt_log_msg.tar.bz2
>>
>> in case anyone want to help write real log messages.
>
>This is not sufficient IMHO, if someone really wants to fix this.  For
>example, a line like
>
>  * builds/modules.ml (CLOSE_MODULE, REMOVE_MODULE), builds/detect.mk
>
>(from 2008-02-11) says nothing; the most important information has
>been truncated.

Umm, "git log" command shows untruncated log for the entry,
also gitk displays untruncated comment in the pane for
comments (I attached screenshot). However, we see truncated
comment in the top pane showing revision tree, and "Parent"
and "Child" in the pane for comments. I think, the truncation
of the comment is not by git itself but by the user interface
of the git repository browsers, like gitk

In the case of 2008-02-11 changeset, joining 4 lines
comment to single line can avoid the comment truncation
problem, but such long comment would not fit to most
interfaces of git repository browsers. I guess, the
expected work would be writing new short comment up to
40 characters or so.

Werner, my understanding is correct?

Regards,
mpsuzuki