Re: [ft-devel] Patch: enable UTF8 path names on Windows

From: Aras Pranckevicius
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Patch: enable UTF8 path names on Windows
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:28:56 +0300

>> Attached a patch (against Freetype 2.2.1).
>
> This is ooold.  The current version is 2.3.9, and I strongly suggest
> to upgrade.

We've tried upgrading to some version of 2.3.x, but it broke
rasterization of some fonts (i.e. "font used to rasterize correctly,
and now it's more blurry or in more weird shapes than in should be"),
and then there was no time to investigate why, and just left it at
that version.

>> Tested to compile (using Visual Studio 2003) and work on Windows.
>> Might not work on Windows 9x systems though (they don't have Unicode
>> support built in).
>
> Thanks.  Can you make it more platform specific?  The right solution
> IMHO is to provide a special ftstdlib.h version in builds/win32.  This
> new header file would simply load the generic ftstdlib.h file, then
> redefing the macros as needed.  Similarly, src/base/ftsystem.c should
> not be tainted with platform specific stuff.  Again, a file ftsystem.c
> should be generated in builds/win32.

If I'll find a spare minute, I'll do.

--
Aras Pranckevičius