[ft-devel] Freetype giving thing letters when doing subpixel rendering

From: Albert Astals Cid
Subject: [ft-devel] Freetype giving thing letters when doing subpixel rendering
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:57:51 +0100

Hi, i'm trying to add subpixel rendering to poppler and i've found that
letters are somewhat sharper but also much thinner, i know one is a
consequence of the other, but what should be a reading aid ends up being worse
since letters are too thin.

I'm attaching the rendering of a "o" and you can see none of the pixels of the
top row are black, the values i get from Freetype are

7 25 57
188 205 217
227 233 230
223 213 198
175 146 113
74 35 10

so there are three almost black pixels but none really black.

I'm using FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT | FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP as parameter of
FT_Load_Glyph and FT_RENDER_MODE_LCD as parameter of FT_Render_Glyph

I'm also calling FT_Library_SetLcdFilter with FT_LCD_FILTER_DEFAULT

Any idea of what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
  Albert

PNG image