Re: [ft-devel] compiler warnings building with clang 1.1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] compiler warnings building with clang 1.1
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 07:06:38 +0200 (CEST)

> For fun, I tried building freetype (current git) with the newly
> release clang 1.1: <http://clang.llvm.org/>
>
> It built, but gave these warnings:
>
> -----
> In file included from /freetype2/src/sfnt/sfnt.c:23:
> /freetype2/src/sfnt/ttload.c:543:9: warning: using extended field
> designator is an extension [-pedantic]

Uh, this is completely cryptic to me, and searching in the internet
doesn't give me a single clue what it really means.

> It's a bit hard to follow with all the macros, but I think it's
> saying that something is being passed to offsetof() that should not
> be.

IMHO, this is essentially impossible.  FreeType doesn't use
designators (this is, a leading dot before a structure or union
member), only `offsetof'.  It rather looks as if the notation for
extended field designators is not defined in the C standard, and the
clang version you use doesn't properly hide its use in its internal
macro definitions so that `-pedantic' gives a warning.

Please contact the clang people and ask for an explanation.