Re: [ft-devel] rasterization without sorting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] rasterization without sorting
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:49:20 +0200 (CEST)

> I have been working on a new way to optimise anti-aliased
> rasterization in FreeType and other similar libraries.

Great!

> I am not completely certain that this is the best way to do things
> for *glyph* rasterization, because glyphs are special cases, being
> in general relatively small, but it speeds up CartoType by about 7%,
> and I believe will speed up FreeType.

Given that David already tried to optimize the AA rasterization, an
improvement of 7% is really impressive.

> I enclose a patch file based on my current version of ftgrays.c,
> which I think is very slightly different from the official version.
> I also enclose ftgrays.c itself, for clarity.  The differences are
> very simple and affect only this one file.

Thanks a lot!  Will have a look the next days.  What do you think
about embedding your changes into #ifdef's temporarily so that anxious
users could deactivate it if they are not in the mood of beta
testing? :-)