Re: [ft-devel] Exposing tricky font list to FT2 client

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Exposing tricky font list to FT2 client
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:17:40 +0900

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:59:06 +0900
address@hidden wrote:
>One of my idea is the detection by TrueType tables
>preserved in Type42 sfnt array, like, "cvt ", "fpgm"
>and "prep". These tables are deeply related with the
>glyph description progam in "glyf" table. Without
>parsing and regenerating TrueType glyph program,
>it is difficult to change these table consistently.
>Therefore I guess there is a possibility that the checksum
>(or we can calculate our own hash) of these tables
>are not changed during font subsetting & embedding.
>To use such detection, I want to add new condition
>without familyname, like "cvt_CHECKSUM=0x05bcf058".

Attached patch is a proof of this concept (more improvement
is required). Current FT2 does not enable the hint for
attached font (embdded MingLiU in a PDF), because the
lack of family name. By attached patch, FT2 identifies
it as a tricky font (by cvt table checksum) and enables
the font.

Regards,
mpsuzuki