Re: [ft-devel] a flag making FT_Open_Face() to use fallback family name

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] a flag making FT_Open_Face() to use fallback family name
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:06:47 +0200 (CEST)

> Although the question "which is better result, hinted or unhinted?"
> should be evaluated since FreeType 2.4.x (because of fundamental
> change of default hinter) again, I'm afraid it cannot make everybody
> agreed to use hinted result.  Some people may say: "I don't know the
> complex story in TrueType rasterizer, but I prefer unhinted result.
> I don't want to enable hinter by default".

I have no opinion on this, but providing the ability to use the
autohinter exclusively might have some benefits, so I don't object to
improvements here.

Just curious: Is the result of the `tricky' operations on a font
really resolution independent, this is, are the subglyphs first
shifted to default positions, then moved again to fit the selected
ppem value?