Re: [ft-devel] Re: preliminary analysis of the problem with cubic spline

From: Graham Asher
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: preliminary analysis of the problem with cubic spline optimisation
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:19:48 +0100

No, in nearly all cases the midpoint is the point on the curve furthest from the straight line when both control points are on the same side. It can happen, though. I'm now working on a fix depending on finding how far the furthest control point is from the straight line. No point on the curve can be further from the straight line than both control points.

Graham

James Cloos wrote:
"GA" == Graham Asher <address@hidden> writes:

GA> Correction: it's not monotonicity that matters, but having the two
GA> control points on different sides of the straight line.

Wouldn't the midpoint also fail to be the furthest point from the line
whenever the two off-curve control points are on the same side of the
midpoint?

-JimC