Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 19:27:33 +0100 (CET)

> How about using a intermedia language which can be easily edited.
> Something like xgridfit or something else.  That way, the generated
> instructions can be handcraft further for better result.
>
> autohinter -> intermedium language -> TT instruction

Yes, I've already discussed this privately with Dave Crossland.  This
might be a follow-up project.  However, the current one aims at
automatical hinting.

> Many of the operations allowed in VTT should be auto generatable
> with autohinter.

Ideally, yes.  Do you know whether VTT has a high-level language for
describing hints, and whether this is published and standardized?

> And global paramaters like blue values should take optional user
> given values.

Mhmm, I don't think so.  The follow-up library handling the proposed
intermediate language should be able to accept user values for blue
zones, but not ttfautohint.

> User should have controls on vertical only or hozirontal only
> autohint.

Yes, this sounds very useful.

Thanks for your input.