Re: [ft-devel] more Unicode character blocks for Indic autofitting

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] more Unicode character blocks for Indic autofitting
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 18:13:44 +0900

Dear Werner,

I remember Indic autofitter is designed to beautify the
script with hanging baseline typography. Thus, it is not
for all scripts derived from Brahmi.

Following scripts are supposed to have hanging baseline
typography. I think Tibetan script should be handled by
Indic autofitter.

Bengali (U+0980 - U+09FF),
Devanagari (U+0900 - U+097F),
Devanagari Extended (U+A8E0 - U+A8FF, slightly questionable, because almost
characters are combining),
Gurumukhi (U+0A00 - U+0A7F),
Kannada (U+0C80 - U+0CFF, slightly questionable),
Tibetan (U+0F00 - U+0FFF),
Sundanese (U+1B80 - U+1BBF, slightly questionable),
Limbu (U+1900 - U+194F, slightly questionable),
Meitei Mayak (U+ABC0 - U+ABFF),
Syloti Nagri (U+A800 - U+A82F),

# 'slightly questionable' is for the scripts that
# some characters have glyphic component similar
# to hanging baseline, but I don't know they should
# be aligned or not.

I think I should ask W3C or Unicode people if there
is any project (or expert) maintaining the list of the
script with hanging baseline typography.

Regards,
mpsuzuki