Re: [ft-devel] [Patch] Compensate blue zone rounding after scale

From: Just Fill Bugs
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Patch] Compensate blue zone rounding after scale
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 02:46:07 +0800

On 05/13/2011 09:32 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

In af_cjk_metrics_scale_dim(), when we scale the blue zone to the
font size, the blue zone is also rounded to pixel grid. The offset
introduced in the rounding at both the bottom and top could have
undesirable effect on the glyph height at certain font size. [...]

Again, it would be great if you can provide images which demonstrate
the usefulness of your change.  It seems that such a fix must be
applied to the latin hinter also for consistency...

The result is a mix. Attached a comparison for wqy-zenhei.ttc at 11.5pt. I actually have to patch ftstring to make it increase font size by half a point to reach 11.5pt.

The lines are:
1. without height compensation.
2. with height compensation.

As can be seem, some chars does benefit from a height glyph size, like 置,道,裡.

However, the whole line looked worse with the compensation in height. It's because of chars which are outside the bottom blue zone displayed a bigger gap toward the chars adjusted with blue zone.

The 主,些,它,生,里 are not adjusted by the blue zone because their bottom line were too high in the original design. With compensation, the distance between blue zone to the un-adjust bottom line increased by 1px.

To conclude, if we cannot catch the bottom line of ALL the glyphs into the blue zones, adding extra 1px to the bottom might not be a good idea in practice.