Re: [ft-devel] [RFC] FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY

From: Eric Rannaud
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [RFC] FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 23:14:30 -0800

Erik,

I notice that for Infinality you have other settings that users may
want to control via fontconfig. Some of Infinality settings may be
generic enough that other renderers could use them as well. Anything
other than lcdfiltercustom that I should add to my patch?

The point being that, for any change to fontconfig, corresponding
changes must be pushed to users of fontconfig (Cairo and Xft are
probably the principal users) for the new option to become usable. So
we might as well push as many improvements as possible at once.

I'm submitting the fontconfig patch that I posted here to the
fontconfig mailing list (with 5 double values). I will explain about
asymmetric filters, range of values and alternatives (such as 0 -
1000).

I will also propose having a "lcdheavy" value for lcdfilter, but I
don't really think it makes a lot of sense, as it's fairly arbitrary
what lcdheavy should mean. After all, infinality-settings.sh lists 8
perfectly reasonable set of filter values, and we're not going to have
a constant for each possible filter configuration.

I will also have patches for Cairo and Xft, to honor whatever
configuration option the fontconfig people accept, and pass it back to
freetype.

Thanks.