Re: [ft-devel] FT_Get_Advance() docs

From: GRAHAM ASHER
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FT_Get_Advance() docs
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:25:29 +0000 (GMT)

I know this isn't a welcome remark, but I'm going to say it anyway, because it's a rule I apply to myself: if an API is difficult to explain then it should be changed. Yes, I know you can't do that - but it's an argument for carefully documenting something as it is written, and changing it before release if the documentation gets too hard to write. And rather than saying a wording is unfortunate, just change it.

An attempt at better wording for the quoted text:

You can set a flag that allows fast retrieval of advance values: FT_ADVANCE_FLAG_FAST_ONLY. To use it, combine it with any other flags you're passing to FT_Get_Advance or FT_Get_Advances. But it works only if the glyph is unhinted (FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING), or unscaled (FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE), or bitmapped, or if light hinting is used (FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT). If none of these conditions is met, FT_Get_Advance or FT_Get_Advances will fail with FT_Err_Unimplemented_Feature.

Graham