Re: [ft-devel] Severe rendering bug

From: Tobias Ringström
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Severe rendering bug
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 23:47:51 +0100

On 2012-01-02 22:40, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
BUT: Right now I've tried the Windows binary, and it works on my GNU/Linux box :-)

Note that there's even a debugger built-in where you can step through all instructions, and you can even step backwards. I didn't find the debugger immediately because the controls didn't fit inside the window. I managed to get to them by increasing the size of the glyph window before clicking on the Debug button.

Looking at the Freetype TrueType interpreter implementation, the
projection vector is in pixel space, meaning that the 300%
horizontal stretch that I use in my example has been applied.

The problem is that in Ins_IP, the projections are calculated using
orus coordinate vectors, which are in em-space (NOT stretched).

If I change from using orus to org, the instruction behaves as I
would expect it to from reading the TrueType specification, and
there are no artefacts.
Can you prepare a patch, please?  I currently don't have the time to
really delve into this issue, but maybe `orus' is correct, but should
be scaled properly...

I'll continue to look at this tomorrow.

/Tobias