Re: [ft-devel] FreeType licenses again

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType licenses again
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:39:37 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
> I strongly dislike that.  I don't consider a font which has been
> processed with FreeType (or ttfautohint) a `redistribution in binary
> form'.  The FTL has never been meant to apply on such cases.
> Additionally, I want to make the bytecode created by ttfautohint
> freely available.

Hmm isn't this exactly the same as with any other compiler?

Obviously gcc, for instance, very intentionally does not add any
licensing restrictions to object files it outputs; how does it handle
the issue in its license?  I know there's the "GCC Runtime Library
Exception" to handle the (more straight-forward) case of the runtime
library; is the issue explicitly addressed anywhere?

-Miles

--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson