Re: [ft-devel] losing outline flags while auto-hinting

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] losing outline flags while auto-hinting
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:30:35 -0500

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is a bug.  Reason is that the autohinter doesn't preserve this
> flag while copying around the outlines (in function af_loader_load_g).
>
> There are two possibilities to fix this.  One of them is to extend
> FT_GlyphLoader_Add and friends (in ftgloadr.c) to carry the `flags'
> field also.  Another one is to store the `flags' field in
> af_loader_load_g after a (sub)glyph has been loaded, and set it again
> right before leaving the function.
>
> Given that the outline flags value is (more or less) a property of the
> whole glyph and not of its subglyphs, I tend to the second solution.

It is easy to see that outline.flags are only copied around inside
the structure and never alone. They are however used internally
in ftgrays.c, for example, where I first noticed them missing. So
if rendering is done on subglyphs we should do it in FT_GlyphLoader
routines because we want them preserved in subglyphs. No?

As far as actual line where we overwrite the flags,
I think it is line 468 in afloader,c.

Alexei