Re: [ft-devel] [patch] emboldening rework v1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [patch] emboldening rework v1
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 20:18:16 +0200 (CEST)

Alexei,

thanks for working on this; I fear I won't have more time in the near
future to give more thoughts to the problem.

Just a minor remark:

> FT_ORIENTATION_NONE is supposed to mean CANNOT BE DETERMINED, which
> is easier said than done. Any contour has a well defined orientation
> as a sign of the area it covers: plus or minus. It is only the
> degenerate contours or the contours with self-intersections that can
> have zero coverage area and, therefore, undetermined orientation.

There is a difference between `cannot be determined' (by the used
algorithm) and `is undetermined' (in the mathematical sense).  I think
FreeType only refers to the former, even if the implementation doesn't
work as expected.